Sunday, April 26, 2015

"Citizenship in School" Kliewer quotes

"I started to notice that I didn't like the classes I was taking called special education.! had to go through special ed. almost all my life. I wanted to take other classes that interested me. I had never felt so mad, 1 wanted to cry"
This is a quote mentioned in the article from a self-advocacy news letter by a girl with Down Syndrome about her experiences in school. This quote made me very emotional and made me feel bad for her. I can't imagine going to school everyday feeling like that. It is a great argument for why schools should integrate special education students into mainstream classes when possible.

"children are not mere receptacles of knowledge transmitted to them by teachers"

I think that this quote is saying that there is more to a student than what they learn in school and I think that this is so true. There are so many other things that define who a person is.

"Educating all children together reconfigures the representation of Down
syndrome from burden toward citizenship. "
I think this is another great argument for why schools need to be integrated. There is a stigma that goes along with having a disability. Many people think that people with disabilities are just a burden and they don't want to deal with them. If more classrooms were integrated, this stigma would go away and people would realize that there is more to a person than their disability and that disabled people really aren't much different than everyone else.

Here is an interesting post about ways to integrate special education students into mainstream classrooms.


No comments:

Post a Comment