Friday, February 27, 2015

Christensen "Unlearning the Myths That Blind Us" Hyperlinks

I found this very interesting to read because I, like many of you, have always loved watching Disney movies. The article discusses issues such as racism and sexism in Disney movies. I chose to do a hyperlink post this week.

Reading this article made me think of a post I saw on Buzzfeed. One issue many people have with Disney is that princesses are always drawn unrealistically skinny. Somebody decided to digitally edit some pictures of Disney Princesses to make them have more realistic bodies. This gained a lot of attention and The Huffington Post even wrote and article about it.

I found this list that talks about stereotypes that Disney teaches its viewers. One that really stood out to me was "Being thin and white is what makes women beautiful and valuable." This connects to SCWAAMP. SCWAAMP says that whiteness is something that is valued more than other things in our society. Most Disney princesses are white, there have only been a few from different races.

I found another article that discusses Disney movies that are sexist and racist. To this day, Peter Pan is one of my favorite movies, but, it is undeniable that it has a lot of racist elements to it. The Native Americans in that film are drawn offensively and extremely stereotypical. Growing up, I never realized how racist it was because like most young children, I thought that's how Native American's actually looked. I didn't realize until I was older how inaccurate their representation of Native Americans was.


I wasn't sure where this would fit in to my blog post but the article made me think of this so I really wanted to share it!



2 comments:

  1. I LOVE how you added the first After Ever After song to your blog! These videos are amazing! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the song as well! So perfect. Your blog was great and all your links were really good!

    ReplyDelete